EWPs (Elevated Work Platforms) and tilt tray trucks is a very dangerous combination. Chances for injury are very high during the loading and unloading process unless when done by experts such as www.geckologistics.com.au. This article aims at sharing some safety instructions to avoid injuries during such processes.
www.primemovermag.com.au/ has reported instances of injuries while EWP is getting loaded or unloaded for transportation. In one of the incidents, the crowded position of the basket is what resulted in danger. The operator who was in the basket got compressed in between the ground and the handrail of the basket and hence suffered serious injuries.
How can the risk of injuries be reduced? Let us see.
Safe practices to reduce the risk of injury
· Strictly follow the instructions of the manufacturer while loading and unloading
· First of all, the truck should be on a level and stable ground which is not sloppy
· If the instructions do not allow the EWP to be driven, then use a winch to move it on and off truck especially if the tray slope is very steep or the wheels of the EWP are smooth and unstable.
· The tray of the truck should be long enough to hold the basket and the boom completely.
· The persons who operate the EWP should be well trained.
· Transportation of EWP should comply with the rules of transport department.
· It would be better to carry EWP on a low loader than carrying it in a tilt tray truck.
· Some manufacturers recommend that the basket should be placed on the tray. In such cases, you must make sure that the tilt tray is levelled before keeping the basket on it.
· While keeping the basket on the tray, do not forget to make use of the ground controls.
Lack of proper maintenance also serves as a reason for accidents and injuries. A capable person should be assigned to do regular maintenance of EWPs. All the critical parts should be inspected every six months or one year as instructed by the manufacturer. Brakes, winch, chains, cables, etc. are the components which should be inspected very carefully. The inspection activities should be recorded rightly so that the plant history is maintained.
Follow the safety laws!
There are certain safety and health rules under the Work Health and Safety Act which should be followed by everyone. Business owners, self-employed persons, manufacturer’s, plant owners, plant workers, all should follow the rules. Nobody is exempted from following them as they are made compulsory as per the legislature.
In short, the transportation of EWP is not a risk-free task. The success depends on how well the risks are managed. Those listed above are just the primary points. Elaborate explanation with clear photographs is available on the internet. Make use of them and learn things. If you are a plant owner, it is your duty to make sure that all the above points are taken care of. You may also take professional assistance for transport if you think you cannot meet all these criteria to avoid dangers. So, make a wise decision. Be safe!